NADI SHODHANA PRANAYAMA
- This is most commonly known as ‘alternative nostril breathing’. Nadi is a tubular organ for the passage of prana, or energy, Shodhana means purifying, or cleansing. The term nadi shodhana means the purification of the nerves. Should not be practiced if your nasal passages are blocked in any way.
- Use your thumb to close the right nostril, breath into the left – count of five.
- Release thumb and close the left nostril with your right ring finger – exhale.
- Inhale through the right nostril to the count of five.
- Close the right nostril with your right thumb.
- Exhale through the left nostril to the count of five.
- This completes one full round.
Solar/Heating, for Vata and Kapha
- Inhale through the right (solar passage) nostril to the count of five.
- Exhale through the left (lunar passage) nostril to the count of five.
Lunar/Cooling, for Pitta
- Inhale through the left (lunar passage) nostril to the count of five.
- Exhale through the right (solar passage) nostril to the count of five.
- Due to the deep penetration of prana, the blood receives a larger supply of oxygen, the nerves are calmed and purified, and the mind becomes still and lucid. Its practice keeps the body warm, destroys diseases, gives strength and brings serenity. The respiratory control center of the brain is stimulated .